I remember my momma, the OG pickler and partial inspiration behind this blog, pickling green tomatoes so this week I decided to try the same recipe, but using cherry tomatoes (more accessible). This pickle recipe also happens to use very similar ingredients and measurements as my mom’s dill pickle recipe, a tried and true method.
You can try this with any type of miniature tomato varietal – cherry, plum, grape, etc. I did a mix of grape and mini heirloom cuz they look snazzy.
Pickled Tomato Recipe
Makes 4 pints
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp mustard seeds (1/2 tsp per pint)*
- 4 tsp black peppercorns (1 tsp per pint)*
- 10 cloves garlic
- 8 sprigs dill (2 sprigs per pint)
- 48oz miniature tomatoes (3 Trader Joe’s containers, FYI…also same as 3 lbs if that’s your jam)
- Bring the water, vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil until fully dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Add spices to jars. Slice garlic cloves lengthwise and add a few halves to each jar.
- Important step – prick tomatoes on opposite ends with a toothpick so they absorb the pickling brine and don’t float too much. Fill jars with tomatoes.
- Split remaining garlic halves amongst jars; add sprigs of dill to jars.
- Fill jars with the cooled brine. Refrigerate and they’re good to go!